This past week, I went without sunglasses. Not for any particular reason, except that I wanted to see if I could do it. My eyes are very sensitive to the sun and so for the past six years I have always worn sunglasses, even when it is overcast: sometimes I feel that the glare is worse then. Anyway, I did it. Aside from accomplishing what I wanted to, I think that my eyes are even a little more tolerant of the sun now. At first I was squinting nonstop and often had to shield my eyes with my hands. Never did I think I would ache for a baseball cap, but I'll admit, I almost stooped to wearing the Hello Kitty hat that belongs to the ten-year-old that I nanny. Yet, as the days progress I felt myself squinting less and when I did squint it was not as painful as it had previously been. Today it is the eighth day that I have not worn sunglasses. I played out back with Mark splashing water and picking flowers and although there was a stifled want for some shade, I never found myself unhappy. Rather, I thoroughly enjoyed my time. Plus, thankfully my whole face will darken and I will not have to worry about repeating the "sunglasses tan" I got last year--at least not today!
I was thinking that if I can go an entire week without sunglasses, something I will admit to being slightly dependent upon, then perhaps I can learn to worry less--something I am highly addicted to. In fact, last Summer I essentially kicked my nail-biting habit to the curb--a habit that I had struggled with basically as long as I could remember. I have also been going to bed earlier and getting up earlier and making time for me. And I have been finishing assignments early and working faster. I have learned how to save money. I go to the gym three times a week.
So maybe I have just been blowing this all out of proportion. I mean...I am known for that! Maybe I can make the changes I want to in my life. I have made gradual changes in so many areas already. It is so helpful and encouraging to look back and see how you have grown. Furthermore, I can see how God has been there all along. It is a comforting thought to see the things God helped you do in the past and watch his hand "move" through your life.
I am full of hope now.
No comments:
Post a Comment