I will be the first to admit that I cannot sing very well. I was not musically gifted. I am pitchy. I know it. I gave up that dream of being a singer when I was 10. Reality set it. I just cannot sing. My sisters can sing. My brother can sing. I...I can change diapers faster and more efficiently than them. I can also handle toddler conflict and screaming infants with more patience than them. Furthermore, I can probably spell better and get better grades. But as a child I was never satisfied with that. My sisters and I used to choreograph little shows and put on concerts for my parents and our pseud-grandmother: Sue-Sue. We loved performing. But as the years went on I realized that I was no longer a cute seven-year-old crooning with passion. I was a ten-year-old croaking. So I gave up that dream.
But I can still sing and I still love to sing. I love music. Ask Frieder. He can tell you. I cannot help but sing every song that comes on the radio. I think I must annoy him sometimes! The more comfortable I have become with myself the less I care what other people think. And believe me I do try to sing better. I do not think I sound as painful now as I did as a pubescent thirteen-year-old.
Today, this is me: Radio up, windows down, rat-a-tat-tatting the steering wheel and fist-bumping the shift in time with the bass--my head bopping and my mouth singing out. I cannot imagine what the morning commuters think of me, nevermind the rush hour commuters! Screaming along with Mumford & Sons, Florence + the Machine, Fleet Foxes, Flyleaf, Jesus Culture, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros and Hillsong--my current playlists. I love music. Some of my favorite songs to sing are Twinkle Twinkle and The Itsy Bitsy Spider or the Alphabet. These are the songs that Mark requests before nap. He does not care than I am no Mariah Carey. He loves for me to sing. So, my singing makes someone happy :)
Who knows what I would do without music. Well...actually, I guess I'd just sing!
No comments:
Post a Comment