
I am a horrible blogger, folks. Well, actually, I am not truly so bad, I just have been posting in my other blog (An Unpoetic Rhythm). This blog was really supposed to chronicle my day to day activities. However, this year I am working almost 40 hours a week for a wonderful family, and of course there is classes, so I have been very busy--and always tired. Therefore, an update is due.
This week by some miracle I finished all my homework before dinner on Sunday. It is rare. Last semester I was only taking 5 courses. Last year, I took 18 credits a semester, so this was light for me. This semester I was supposed to take 18, but had one class canceled due to a lack of students. Because of this, I am only taking two courses this session. My first is ENGL 212, British Literature 19th to the 21st Century. It is a piece of cake compared to what I am used to. In Psyc, it is imperative that you write academically and nearly every assignment requires a few outside peer-reviewed or equivalent sources. For British Lit. we are told to only use the actual text, (i.e. poetry or prose) as our sources. Basically I read poems and write about what I think they say. It's going well.
My second class is PSYC 411, Cognitive Psychology. Also, surprisingly easy. In fact, I am still a bit surprised at how easy it is. I had heard from some that it was not the easiest course. Yet, I am doing very well and understand almost everything upon first reading it. I guess these past couple years studying Psychology have really laid a great foundation. Instead of having to read and reread information, I now can read through and understand specific concepts and references to psychological history enough to actually learn from my assignments. Cognitive psyc. is all about the processes of thought and our ability to perceive the world around us, make sense of the stimuli we receive, and gain knowledge from it. It is really quite interesting. Did you know that one study found that using bluetooth headsets when driving do not significantly improve your chances of getting safely from point a to b? Neither did I?
I hate to switch gears so abruptly (it goes against my writing etiquette), but I cannot think of an adequate transitional phrase for my next topic: my job (or is it my life?). I found an excellent employer a week or so before I returned to the Hampton Roads area in August. I work for a couple who are from MA. Courtney, who was previously married has two children, a girl and boy, 9 and 8 years old, respectively. Her and Josh also have a baby who is 15 months old. They are some of the best employers I have ever had. So appreciative of my care for their children and willing to express this openly. My duties include caring for baby Mark, getting the kids off to the bus in the morning and being there when they return home to help with homework, administer and supervise chores, and just have fun playing together, as well as some minor household duties, such as the kids laundry and keeping the kitchen and play area neat.
Although I am not required to do a lot of cleaning, I try my best to stay on top of things like the dishes and the kids laundry. In January Josh went on deployment and so it is just Court and I taking care of everything. I respect her so much and have no idea how she goes to school, externship, gets homework done, and attend to the kids. She is a wonder woman and an excellent and supportive wife and mother. I try my hardest to support her in any way I can. It is so rewarding. Sometimes I feel like a part time mom and the kids can get on my nerves and push my buttons, but I still miss them on the weekends and hate leaving on my half days and missing them arriving home from school. The two of them crack me up. They are a blog all of their own! Childhood is truly such a wonderful time. If I was not so sure that I was cut out for the motherhood thing, this has confirmed it. I was so born for this! In short I LOVE my job.
Little Markie is one of my best friends. There is nothing more empowering and nothing that reminds you of the fact that you matter better than walking into his little room in the morning and being greeted by the trusting eyes and cheery grin of a little person who sees you as a miracle. I realize everyday that I can improve myself as I watch him learn new things and get excited as he experiences them. We've gone through so much: teething, twice; standing; walking; learning to communicate; dancing to music; throwing a ball; experiencing the exhilaration of swings; his first cold; bananas and scrambled eggs; understanding that climbing up the stairs means that you have to go back down at some point and if you don't know how, that means you'll fall...down, down, down; learning that a cow says "moo"; and that "moo" also sounds like "more", which is a word you really have to use to communicate your insatiable hunger. There are so many other things that we have done that I'll never forget. It is eye-opening to see the world anew through the eyes of a child. Utterly remarkable. Makes you grateful for a lot of the simplest things.
I also love my roommate, Victoria Eddowes. I am so blessed to have met her and gained such a great friendship. She's a joy to be around, completely laid back, and totally understands me. It has been an adventure living right next to her and sharing bathroom space and going grocery shopping together. She's what I needed in a friend and I'm so thankful God allowed our paths to cross. I have been cooking so much this year to avoid the excess fat we consume and the excess cash we give away when eating out. I have discovered that I really love cooking. Victoria is my little sous chef and I've been teaching her to make some things. I've also introduced her to the life-(and finger)-saving tool that is a sharp, high quality knife. Frieder bought me a set and a nice wooden cutting board for Christmas. I was so excited! Victoria and I have put them to good use this session.
All in all, I've grown up even more this year. I'll be 21 soon, which means a new license, and an actual "adult" status. Truth be told, I've been an adult for a long time. More than anything, I'm ready to move on to the next stage of life to embrace who I am, and live my dreams. And I'm pretty excited about that. For now, I'll keep working hard, keep aiming for that letter from the dean saying that he put me on that special list of his, keep loving my boyfriend with an unconditional love (most of the time), loving my "kids" and loving my family and loving others.
No comments:
Post a Comment