
This is not a post on black history month or a post celebrating the inauguration of the United States' first African American president. I am not even going to tell of this great man's life and the huge things he accomplished. If you are curious, then just keep reading....
So, this week for my Theories of Personality course, we are required to take the Myers-Briggs personality test. In true honor of the stereotypes of my major, I am thoroughly enjoying this adventure through personality. It is causing me to rethink the motivations behind my behavior and in the same way making me aware of how unique I truly am. For so many years I have felt completely left out from the rest of those around me. I never understood why, but I came to appreciate the fact that I was just special. And no, I do not mean special in a convoluted "pity-me" sort of way. As a child I was proud of my individuality and even became somewhat of a mentoring leader in my circle of friends. However, during my earlier teen years, from about twelve to fifteen and a half, my obvious differences became the source of frustration and pain. I did not ever give up on them, but trudging through a sea of expectancies can be draining on anyone. Since there were few around me who saw life through a similar lens, it was hard to share anything with people. Perhaps this was a good thing, because I learned to lean on Jesus. He has carried me through many lonely nights and worrisome days.
In any case, we are all complicated beings. Some alike. Few, like myself, are different from seemingly everybody. I've taken this same test on three different formats and have gotten the INFJ personality every time. I wanted to share my findings with you all, so that you might get a glimpse into how I work. According to Keirsey.com, people like me make up "little more than one percent of the population" (para. 2). I consider the results to be very accurate of myself. Of course there are exceptions, but for the most part, the following explanation will describe Deanna for you:
Introverted iNtuiting Feeling Judging
by Marina Margaret HeissINFJs are deeply concerned about their relations with individuals as well as the state of humanity at large. They are, in fact, sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people -- a product of the Feeling function they most readily show to the world. On the contrary, INFJs are true introverts, who can only be emotionally intimate and fulfilled with a chosen few from among their long-term friends, family, or obvious "soul mates." While instinctively courting the personal and organizational demands continually made upon them by others, at intervals INFJs will suddenly withdraw into themselves, sometimes shutting out even their intimates. This apparent paradox is a necessary escape valve for them, providing both time to rebuild their depleted resources and a filter to prevent the emotional overload to which they are so susceptible as inherent "givers." As a pattern of behavior, it is perhaps the most confusing aspect of the enigmatic INFJ character to outsiders, and hence the most often misunderstood -- particularly by those who have little experience with this rare type.
Due in part to the unique perspective produced by this alternation between detachment and involvement in the lives of the people around them, INFJs may well have the clearest insights of all the types into the motivations of others, for good and for evil. The most important contributing factor to this uncanny gift, however, are the empathic abilities often found in Fs, which seem to be especially heightened in the INFJ type (possibly by the dominance of the introverted N function).
This empathy can serve as a classic example of the two-edged nature of certain INFJ talents, as it can be strong enough to cause discomfort or pain in negative or stressful situations. More explicit inner conflicts are also not uncommon in INFJs; it is possible to speculate that the causes for some of these may lie in the specific combinations of preferences which define this complex type. For instance, there can sometimes be a "tug-of-war" between NF vision and idealism and the J practicality that urges compromise for the sake of achieving the highest priority goals. And the I and J combination, while perhaps enhancing self-awareness, may make it difficult for INFJs to articulate their deepest and most convoluted feelings.
Usually self-expression comes more easily to INFJs on paper, as they tend to have strong writing skills. Since in addition they often possess a strong personal charisma, INFJs are generally well-suited to the "inspirational" professions such as teaching (especially in higher education) and religious leadership. Psychology and counseling are other obvious choices, but overall, INFJs can be exceptionally difficult to pigeonhole by their career paths. Perhaps the best example of this occurs in the technical fields. Many INFJs perceive themselves at a disadvantage when dealing with the mystique and formality of "hard logic", and in academic terms this may cause a tendency to gravitate towards the liberal arts rather than the sciences. However, the significant minority of INFJs who do pursue studies and careers in the latter areas tend to be as successful as their T counterparts, as it is *iNtuition* -- the dominant function for the INFJ type -- which governs the ability to understand abstract theory and implement it creatively.
In their own way, INFJs are just as much "systems builders" as are INTJs; the difference lies in that most INFJ "systems" are founded on human beings and human values, rather than information and technology. Their systems may for these reasons be conceptually "blurrier" than analogous NT ones, harder to measure in strict numerical terms, and easier to take for granted -- yet it is these same underlying reasons which make the resulting contributions to society so vital and profound" (Heiss, 2007).
For those of you who know me. For instance those who know of and could probably quote one of my ridiculous baby names from my tweens, then you know how accurate this thing is. Heck, even if you just watched me grow up in church all these years--you know that the description by Marina Margaret Heiss are pretty accurate about my behavior in public. For those of you who who for all that it's worth have wondered what in the world goes on in my mind, then I hope you have seen that glimpse to help you understand who I am. I know that I could probably write twenty descriptions more concerning myself, but for those who do not reside in my mind, this will suffice for now.
This is where I tie in that picture of Martin Luther King Jr. staring off into the distance, envisioning. Martin Luther King Jr. and I have the same personality, according to the Joe Butt (2007). We are both INFJs. When I saw the list of famous people--people who have made a difference, people who have accomplished something I was impressed. They were all just like me. Then I realized that my name could one day be there among them on that list.
I have a zeal for life. I have a dream for life.
I know where I want my dream to take me. I have a vision of what my dream will look like.
Do you know what your dream looks like?
If you would like to take the test yourself you can access it by clicking here. There will be links to type descriptions by David Keirsey as well as Marina Margaret Heiss and Joe Butt. Be encouraged by the names of people who impacted others with their lives. Perhaps you all can find the motivation and inspiration that I did. Enjoy the discovering, folks!
With all my love to those back home,
Deanna Desrosiers
References:
Butt, J. (2007). Functional Analysis. Retrieved January 20, 2009, from http://typelogic.com/infj.html
Keirsey, D. (n.d.). About 4 temperments: Idealist portrait of the counselor (infj). Retrieved January 20, 2009, from http://keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=3&c=counselor
Heiss, M. M. (2007). Introverted intuiting feeling judging. Retrieved January 20, 2009, from http://typelogic.com/infj.html
No comments:
Post a Comment