I think I am going to invest in some light canceling curtains. Either that or buy some food. I awoke this morning to my alarm at 8:00 a.m. I was not ready to wake up. However, after laying back down I failed to sleep because my stomach was devouring itself. I mean, gut-gurgling, pain-inducing, consumption of the lining of my stomach. I did eat last night, I promise....
Our journey yesterday was rather quick. We were through New York before 8 o'clock and made it to Jersey by 9 o'clock. Halfway through Jersey the air conditioning seemed to lose its fervor. By the time we reached Delaware it was simply blowing around slightly "cool" air. Unfortunately it was also the high time for the sun. So we rode along in a car that was a bit cooler than the outdoors. I'm thankful for it though, because when we arrived and I stepped out of that car into the breath-taking, exhaustion-giving, boiling, moist air of Virginia Beach, I thought I would melt. I also really wanted to sleep. The humidity here will do that to you. It overtakes you and steals all your hydration and all your energy.
Thankfully my apartment was a chipper 72 degrees and I soon cooled. This only lasted until we had to go out to grab some stuff at Walmart (I was pretty excited to be at Walmart again), and then to pick up Frieder's things that were stored here at a friend's home. After returning home and putting things away, I went back out to pick up my things from the family I work for. By the time I got home and ate my sandwich from WaWa (possibly the greatest gas station/shop/restaurant I've ever seen) it was already 9 and I was ready to pass out. The hunt for my bedding then ensued. I was beyond excited to get my sheets on there and crawl in. There is nothing like a fresh new bed--at least in my opinion.
After that I did something I have not done in years--I mean so many years, I can not even remember: I took a bath. I was partially forced into it because as of yet my bathroom-mate and I do not have a shower curtain. Still, it was incredibly enjoyable and relaxing. De-stressed and ready for bed, I spent some time journaling and then crawled in bed at the ripe old hour of 11:45. Having awoken at 3:45 yesterday morning I was more than ready to sleep.
There are so many freshmen this year. The first and second floor is reserved for them. I thin they have boys on the first and girls on the second or it is split by wing. In any case, someone below me was having a bass party. The BOOM-BOOM-BA-BA-BOOM did not keep me awake. I enjoy sleep far too much to be kept awake. However, it did make me laugh and shake my head. I remember my first year. How excited I was. Not to say I am not excited for my last year, but this was a different excitement. A giddy, almost, hyper excitement bubbling within. I was going to make so many friends and get so close to God and do so well. High expectations. High goals. As the years have passed, my goals have shifted and morphed. They have settled down. They have grown. It makes me feel so much more older than the freshmen kids. I look at them and feel worlds away. I guess the knowledge that I have worked a full-time job and studied full-time for the past two years does give me some age on them.
Yet, still, I did not expect to feel so far removed. I am happy though. Because this removal is not bad. It just means that I have my priorities straight and know who I am and what I am here for. I am excited for classes. Excited to learn. I am excited for work. I was able to see my two oldest kids yesterday when I picked up my things. It was so wonderful to have little Anna run up to me and wrap her arms around me! It was even more wonderful when she innocently questioned whether I would still babysit them when they moved. "Of course, Anna", I said, "as long as I know how to get there!" She smiled with relief. And little Evan, attempting to be stoic and manly, he was excited too. It was adorable, how he stood off to the side after giving me a little hug, reigning in his emotions. Mark was asleep, but I can't wait to see that little guy. I've missed my bug all Summer! I will see them all soon enough. Work starts tomorrow. They are also moving into a new house this week. So I'm sure it will be busy.
Today I plan to eat something. Also I need to start my reading, pick up Victoria, my bestest friend from the airport, and finish unpacking. Oh! I think there is also some mandatory RA meeting. I don't like mandatory meetings. But I'll go...as long as it doesn't interfere with my pick up Victoria time--because I just couldn't leave her at the airport! It's going to be a busy day, but I am so happy to be here!
1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners, [a]
2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.
-Isaiah 61:1-3
No comments:
Post a Comment