![]() |
| Buy this dress! |
Growing up I was all parts tomboy. My younger brother and I were attached at the hip. Whether it was playing soccer/football/street hockey/basketball, climbing trees, building forts in the neighbors tree hedge, catching Salamanders, going for bike adventures, playing Madden '96, organizing his baseball cards, lugeing down the steep road next to our house on skateboards (I still do not know what we were thinking!), spying on our neighbors, playing Super Mario on Nintendo (I know...waaay back!), reading adventure books, having races and contests, burping (Yes...), and generally just hanging out together. Not that I did not like my little sisters or play with them, because, I will admit, Polly Pocket, Barbie, baby dolls, and dress-up have a special place in my heart, I just had another love of the outdoors, sports, and competition.
My favorite sport to play was backyard football. We could not play often because there were only two of us and trying to get my sisters to comply to playing with us was like trying to swallow a chip whole: painful and too much work for the nutrition! For a while, his best friend and little brother were at our house almost every weekend. I was always so excited when Matt and Brian came over. My brother was gracious enough to allow me to join them in their games and my favorite was when we would play touch football in the backyard. I was a girl, but I was a great receiver, let me tell you. There was nothing more satisfying than pulling off a trick shot and running into the end zone 15 feet away! It was exhilarating. I enjoyed hearing them grumble and accuse me of cheating. It was great to be on an even level of competition with them. My teammate (because there was usually only four of us) always game me enthusiastic high fives and rejoiced with me.
Every now and then when we could convince my sisters to play--I do not know if I should tell you this, but sometimes the only way to get them to play was to bargain our time to play house; yes, my brother played house with us. Also, our neighbor Raymond, affectionately dubbed "Ray Ray", would sometimes come and play too. With him that made 7 of us. We never told them, but we counted my sisters as one player, because they would get scared of anyone coming at them fast and they were never wholeheartedly invested in the game. So then we would have ourselves a boisterous game of 3 on 4! It was fantastic! One of my favorite pastimes and subject of many wonderful childhood memories. Football is just my favorite! I love it! Watching and playing (touch of course--I'd die out there otherwise).
My brother was my protector. He was bigger and taller and stronger than me. So I felt safe with him. I was the cautious of the two, so I do believe that as annoying as my carefulness was to him I prevented a great deal of injuries to us both (I'm going to have to post about him and myself growing up--this has recalled so many memories and stories). He also tormented my sisters and me. I guess I was just quicker to forgive than they were! But somehow, we got along. We were different, but got a long well. This all lasted until I was about fourteen...and I suddenly and shockingly recalled my girlhood and remembered how wonderful that was. And so I rediscovered clothing, and nail polish, and make-up and dresses!
Oh dresses! By the time I was sixteen and had money and a car and access to the mall...my closet began to fill with dresses. I just love dresses. They make me happy. They are one of the few things that I know how to purchase. I'll be honest, jean or dress pant shopping is hell for my short, curvy body. I have never been cookie cutter. Pants are always too long. When they fit my behind, they are too loose around the waist. I dread buying jeans. In fact, the last time I went shopping I ended up purchasing two pairs of Capri's. I was lucky. I tell no lie. My legs are so very short, that the length of Capri's was about perfect for them...
Anyway, I really do love dresses, because I know exactly what styles suit my body. When I try a dress on that fits at the right places and frills in the right spots it's like my soul sighs. Okay, maybe not. That is taking this a bit far. However, dresses are so freeing. In the Summer I nearly live in dresses. They are so versatile and can suit almost every occasion (well...except for football....). I have called myself hot-blooded rather than warm-blooded. I have a really hard time in hot weather. Humidity and I do not get along well. Dresses help, because they allow airflow and they are generally light and fluid. Plus, it is nice to wear a dress and feel all womanly sometimes. I love being a woman and as difficult as it can be, I love my body and a dress can help me express that. I wish I could wear dresses all the time!
Football and dresses. That's me.

5 comments:
Stirring up the memories for your Mom, DEE! I used to watch you from the window praying that know one would get hurt. And in the other ear listen to your sisters complain about how it wasn't fair that you always played with THEM!!!! HA ha h...a ha. Those were the days .Matt and Brian, Ray ray and even sometimes Jaime N. would cheer you guys on in sign language!!! Love those days and glad that you are writing them down to store away for your children. I loved to hear the stories of old from my parents and grandmother..........You learn what you live and you certainly have LIVED it!!! I Love You so much more than you sense or know....Keep writing my beautiful daughter XOXO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MOM
loved it! so cute deanna . xoxo
So great! And accurate!
Although it was nice of you to leave out that Brian would always cry.... :p
and kickball another favorite... And a guilty favorite was play hide and go seek with our deaf friend! Haha we were aweful!
Hahahah! J, kickball was a great one too. I will have to add that in. How could I neglect to mention Brian...?
"Flashlight tag" I believe we called it. I am still ashamed to my toes for that. He loved it though. Poor kid!
Thanks Mom. I'm so glad to hear that they were jealous. They really didn't know what they were missing ;)
I'm going to right about the time Jaresiah dared me to climg the big Oak or Maple (I don't know what it is called) in the front yard. I still remember looking out over the house at Plymouth Harbor and feeling so proud of myself :)
Post a Comment