Last week I was watching some videos on aol.com of contestants who entered for the chance to sing the national anthem for a superbowl special on aol.com or something. Immediately I picked up on something that was laced through literally 95% of the videos. After watching about 20 individuals or groups sing the National Anthem, not only was I sick of the song, but I found one part in particular that will most likely forever annoy me. It bothered me so much. I thought to myself, you need to get a life, Deanna! But I could not help it.
Perilous. That's Peh-Ri-LUS, right? Well so many of those contestants pronounced it Peh-rO-LUS. Eh. My ears were crying. I could literally see their mouths making an "o" shape.
I find if funny that I was so upset about that because although I almost always try to speak with clarity and use proper enunciation, pronunciation, grammar, and all that proper stuff, there are some words that I consistently stumble over because I am just rushing through them. "Comfortable", for example. When I'm upset, I say Cumf-Ta-bull. Haha. Also, when I'm angry or frustrated I say com-licated for "complicated". I do not have the best pronounciation. I will not deny that. But it is something that I aspire toward and greatly respect. I also respect a person who can be angry or upset and describe their feelings without swearing. I hardly swear myself. Not because I think I'm better than anyone, but because I just do not feel the need to. I'd rather broaden my vocabulary horizon or at least look at the horizon when I speak! I really like words. I love Scrabble, Bananagrams, Hangman, and pretty much any word game. I love learning new words. I have a daily word sent to my inbox everyday.
So yes, I like pronunciation and words. Don't even get me started on spelling....

No comments:
Post a Comment