Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fasnetdienstumzug

Yesterday I went to the Fasnetdienstagumzug with my little brother-in-law, Nikolas. All around the world people have Carnival to celebrate sin and a life of debauchery for a day, or more likely this is extended for a week. Anyway, this is all in preparation for Lent--the time of fasting before Easter in the Catholic religion. Way back whenever, the Church decided that the people could have a day where they could experience all the terrible ways of living and do the things that they were not supposed to. Charming, right? After this the people had to live a life of penitence, fasting for around 40 days until easter when the gift of Christ's salvation really hit home. This is the reason we have "easter eggs". People were not allowed to eat fat or any animal products during this time, so the eggs piled up. Interesting, huh? The Protestant church found this to be a terrible idea because they said once the people experience this sinful way to live they will not go back to living righteously--at least not very willingly, so their is no protestant carnival tradition. I have to say there was some wisdom in that. My husband says that there are people that cry and sob when Carnival is over. Hmm...?  Anyway, look it up it you want. I am not going to try and explain any more of it.

Fasnetdienstag is the day before fasting starts. The equivalent of Mardi Gras, fat tuesday.... Here in Germany it is a big deal. "Umzug" means parade. At this parade there were several groups of people dressed in hideous, creative costumes that represent devils, fools, and witches (some really resembled creatures from the Lord of the Rings movies!). This parade through the town or city is supposed to symbolize "chasing the evil out". However, I'm not sure that it still serves it's purpose! These people in the parade play tricks on the on-lookers. It was really funny. One particularly naughty looking ghoul grabbed a teenaged girl and wrapped her ankles with duck tape and then spun her around, set her down and ran off. She was falling all over the place!

My brother had said before the parade began that it was better not to be in the front row and after seeing some of the pranks I was glad to have some people in front of me. The walkers in the parade also throw paper confetti. They often go up to people and stuff it in their hoods or hats or down the backs of their coats...or in their shoes! Some also had tiny wood shavings. I felt really bad for the people who got "wooded". I can imagine that that hurts when it gets into your clothing and hair. Nikolas had put his hood on at the beginning of the parade to avoid getting confetti in his hair. Believe me when I tell you, it would never find it's way out of his head!
I also saw some witches with a little house that was pulled by a tractor. Every 50 feet or so they would grab someone and shove them into this little house and locking them in they would continue with the parade for another minute and then finally let the people out. They also had great fun startling and scaring people. Every so often one would randomnly come running full speed and scream at some unsuspecting individual. All the walkers (with the exception of a few groups) wore intricately carved wooden masks. These masks, as ugly as they were, really were works of art. It takes some talent to make them. Some of these groups are hundreds of years old. There is great tradition.

The tricksters also come by with face paints sticks and draw on peoples faces. Or more often they had black or blue paint gunked on their fingers and they would drag their fingers down someone's face. It was all very amusing to me and I was grateful to be spared such treatment, although I will admit I hid behind some random guy as much as I could! I think if they tried something like that in Plymouth someone who get knocked out!! I was not able to get many pictures because I could not see very well. After a few minutes of the parade I decided that was okay with being a bit hidden anyway! I was able to get some video footage of some of the bands. I really enjoyed the music.


Captian Jack Sparrow and another priate. Onlookers dressed up too!


Festive decorations - these are all over the town center

The leading man - beginning of the Umzug

Onlookers covered in confetti - little boy with a gift of face paint

A witch and a fool

The unlucky girl getting "duck taped"

This guy got painted early on. One of the men standing near us remarked that he had a lot of room to draw on his forehead!

Who really knows! Witches? With everything BUT the kitchen sink...although I did see a sponge and toilet brush!



The audio is not that great because there was so much noise, but here you can see some witches in the beginning, one of whom generously paints a poor guys face. They got him so many times. And then a band comes. Sounded much bettter live, but this gives you an idea.

Here you can see footage from last year. The same band can be viewed at 1:11.

No comments: