Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas: A little research, a little more falling-in-love

I have a classmate who is a Christian. He told me a few weeks ago that he does not celebrate Christmas. One of his main reasons was that "Jesus was not born on December 25". I told him that of course we do not know he was born on the 25, but frankly, I'm not sure that matters.
Nevertheless, I have been feeling curious, so I did some quick research via google. I have heard that Jesus was likely born in late February or mid-spring or in the early fall. This guy, through a very detailed analysis of Biblical passages, cross-references the Jewish calendar and moon cycles and concludes that Jesus was likely born in September or October. John J. Parsons also presents some research for the support of a September or October birth as well as support for the December birth. The date of December 25 can be attributed to the Romans. In A.D. 336, in order to combat the pagan winter solstice celebration of the Cult of Mithras on December 25 (celebrating the birth of their infant god of light), Church leaders chose the same day to celebrate "Christ's birth and held the first recorded Feast of the Nativity" (citation). Beliefnet.com also states that "In the Greco-Roman calendar December 25th was the festival of Saturnalia, a holiday during which masters became slaves and slaves became masters for a day. It was the day of reversals".

I find this to be really remarkable. Christ came to us, not as an all-powerful, menacing giver of everything and all that was and is to come, but he came as a lowly, defenseless infant. I am not saying that this confirms December 25 to be his birth date, I just find the conjunction to be poignant. Perhaps this is why December 25 was confirmed by the Romans as the date of Christ's birth: Jesus became the ultimate servant to the world when he was born. God knew all of this when he put Christ onto the earth.

Yet, regardless of the day he was born, regardless of the time, regardless of where, he came. The most important thing is that he came. The most important thing is that we remember and celebrate! He is the ultimate light, the ultimate servant, the ultimate son of God. "From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ" (NIV).

For many, Christmas is an excuse to receive that item they have been coveting all year. To many, it is a time for family. To many it is a time of giving. To many more it is time off from school! I celebrate Christmas because I cannot not celebrate. Knowing who Christ is and what he gave, I cannot help but want to celebrate. I do not care if he was born on April 1st or September 17th or February 9th or December 25. Christmas has come to mean something different to many other people in the world, but that will not stop me from celebrating the wonderful gift that is Jesus Christ, the light and truth to the world, my closest and most loyal friend, my savior and king. I give because he gave, I receive because of the gift of his grace. When I look at it all, the dates, the story, the miracle, I am overwhelmed with wonder and thanksgiving and love for my savior. I hope this season Christmas is illuminated for you as it has been for me.

1 comment:

Rory MacGyver Shaw said...

very well written.