I'm sitting here watching my hands shake and wondering how long it will be before I can answer my own door without having a small heart attack. Of course, it would help if the bell was not loud enough to wake my younger brother from sound sleep-- and that is not easy. So first, I am violently startled by the bell and then I answer the door and precede to fumble through a conversation that lasted an agonizing two minutes. It did not help that the delivery men--yes "men" because there were two-- seemed to lack social skills and just stared at me for awkward periods in the middle of our "conversation". I mean, I understood most of what he said and maybe I did not speak with great German diction, but is it really necessary to stare at me like I have three eyes. I am again reminded how primitive my communication skills are. Yea, that felt a lot like scrutiny. But I have my package. I guess that is all that matters. My confidence has been knocked back another few notches, but I have my package....
One thing I have learned over the past two months is that it is one of the most demoralizing things to be treated like an imbecile or be frowned upon simply because you cannot communicate well. I will take this with me for the rest of my life, wherever I go. On the bright side, I have finally learned how to use my oven.
That being said, I should probably go finish my German homework!
1 comment:
hahaha! THis made me laugh so hard! Yes... Men! hahah! Your doing great dee! Even if you didn't try, which I know you are, you are beyond sufficiently intelligent enough to figure it out, and assimilate well with the german language. Either way, time usually fixes all of this :)
Miss you, Sister!
Post a Comment