Friday, April 29, 2011

Happy Things

I had a happy dream last night. I woke up today with a smile on my face and a "why, thank you, God" on my lips.

Not to mention that this is the last week of school. I am almost finished. Last night I did my last two posts! So wonderful to finally submit them and not feel the dread of others just beyond the horizon. This pretty much sums up how I felt.
Mark, feeling the wind on Thursday


I got my first car insurance bill in my inbox yesterday.
Amount due: $704. Minimum amount due: $0.
That made me so happy, I went ahead and paid over a third of it ;)

Wednesday Mark said his name at storytime. For about a month he's been hiding his face and shrinking into my lap when it was his turn, but we practiced twice this week. I have tried to get him to say his name in the past for me, but he refused. This week, I sang the little song that they sing at storytime so he would know what was going on and he said his name. Twice. At storytime, when Miss Cindy Lou (I tell no lie...that is her name) came by with the bumblebee puppet singing, "Hickety pickety bumblebee, won't you say your name for me?", Mark took a few moments to hold everybody captive and then with two hands to aid himself, launched himself up from my lap and like an explosive rocket launch, shouted, "Marrrrr". I was pretty proud.

On Tuesday, Mark was swinging like a big boy for the first time! In the past I have tried to sit hin on the swing on the swingset in the backyard. He has always been scared and fidgeted and screamed and it never lasts. On Tuesday, I decided I was going to teach him to sit on the swing. I got down at his level and told him to look at me. "Mark, the swing is not scary. It is fun. Don't be afraid. I will help you, okay?" "Okay", he said. I hoisted him up and there was a small moment of panic until I helped him find a place for his hands, and repeated, soothingly, "don't be scared! Swinging is fun!" When I finally gave him a little push, his face broke out into a grin and giggles erupted from him at such a fast rate that he stopped making noise! He loved it! I pushed him. He giggled. We did this for about 15 minutes. It was so much fun! Again, I was pretty proud.

Giggle Boy

No comments: