Frieder and I arrived safely and quite timely into Virginia Beach, Friday the 22nd, at around 4 p.m. Our travel went well and without a hitch, so praise God for that. We only hit a patch of traffic in New York, but it didn't last for very long. The trusty Cavalier came through again, and didn't give us any problems. I was able to sleep for a couple hours, but never quite found that deep sleep. However, when we stopped for breakfast in NJ off the Turnpike, I was rested enough to drive the rest of the way.
I was very tired and grumpy when we arrived, however...poor Frieder. He was wonderfully supportive and told me to cut it out ;) But I rested for a bit after I got all my stuff up into my room and feel better now. It's funny because a lot of it--well most of it, is missing. Last year, I nannied for a little boy in Norfolk, and I was able to leave a lot of my stuff, 4 crates to be exact, in their garage. All that stuff, however is sorely needed to make my bedroom livable. I don't even have bed sheets or a towel or blanket. Thankfully I have awesome friends from last year that are going to loan me some for the night.
Speaking of friends. I saw my old roomies this afternoon. I ran into Christine as I was coming out of the elavator with a bunch of luggage and she gave me a huge hug, which was wonderful. I also saw Danielle, as I was unloading some more luggage from my car. She ran up and gave me a great big squeeze. I definitely needed those hugs and the warm reception, so "thanks!" to Christine and Danielle. I've seen a bunch more people that I knew last year and it's actually really awesome just to lay eyes on them. I haven't had the chance to really talk with any of them, but it is just good to see people that you know. To know that I'm not just a student and a peer, but that there are people that are excited to see me again.
Pray for Frieder. He had left a lot of his blongings in his apartment closet, because his roomate had stayed throughout the Summer until July. He wrote to the Housing office and requested that they make sure his stuff remain in the closet. He had already paid August rent, so technically it was his apartment. There was a miscomunication or perhaps someone just didn't do their job, because housekeeping went in and removed all of it. And not politely either. The contents of a couple boxes was just thrown into a plastic trash bag. He's got some speakers and other important things that he needs for school missing at this point and is very disappointed and discouraged. Pray that they will either be recovered or replaced speedily and efficiently. He needs a good dose of heavenly joy right now.
As for me, I was very discouraged and lapsed into the awful pattern of worrying the last half hour of our journey. Part of it was definitely fatigue, but I also know that part of it is probably spiritual. Please remember me in your prayers as school is not only a huge environment change, but also a move from my comfort zone, the people that I love, and the spiritual umbrella under which I reside while at home. I have a grave tendency to doubt myself and worry myself to sickness. I don't this will be a huge issue for me this year, because I have a great awareness of it, but I could still use prayer and encouragement along the way.
It's the beginning of a long 9 month journey and I am already tired, but tomorrow dawns a new morning and a brand new start. I trust that God's promises do not fail and know that His mercy is new and vibrant in the morn!
With all my love to those back home,
Deanna Desrosiers
No comments:
Post a Comment